Saturday, December 1, 2012

Holiday Music. Time To Make The Playlist Of The Season.



For the last few years come usually around October, I have to sit down and comb through my catalog of music and surf iTunes for holiday/Christmas music to choreograph dance pieces to. I've complained about this before to anyone unlucky enough to be within hearing of me rant. It's not that I don't like music associated with this time of year. I rather enjoy it, and will usually play the radio station that goes straight up Christmas music come Black Friday.

What gets my knickers bunched up is that the world of music and dance concepts goes from a vast and endless ocean of possibilities to a small puddle.

So back in October I once again dragged my ears and choreographic mind's eye to the computer to hash out a plan of attack for dance pieces for my dance classes.

This year was a little different. Maybe I was in a more open frame of mind as to possibilities, or maybe I am becoming more confident as a choreographer. Whatever the case, this year's search revealed some real treasures. And not just for setting dance choreography, but for the enjoyment of listening to the music of the season.

 Its time to make that holiday play list that will be the background  sounds of this time for special traditions shared with loved ones and for gatherings throughout this time of year.



Christmas With The Kranks soundtrack.

The link above is for amazon, but the soundtrack is also available on iTunes.
A really fun collection of classic Christmas songs by artist like The Ramones, Elvis Presley and even a rendition of the Nutcracker Suite by The Brian Setzer Orchestra Band.



The Hotel Cafe Presents Winter Songs.

I've had this album for awhile now and have used songs from it before. It's a real treasure.



NOW That's What I Call Christmas 4.

This 2010 album has 36 songs. it is also available on iTunes.

I'm currently using (and loving) Rhianna's version of  "A Child Is Born".



From The Grinch Who Stole Christmas movie soundtrack, Little Isidor and the Inquisitors "Christmas of Love".

This song is too cute and fun for words!



The piece I am most enjoying choreographing to is the "Christmas Eve Montage" from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. The composition is from the talented Danny Elfman. He simply breaths excellence.

The dance piece I am using "Christmas Eve Montage" for is an ensemble piece. I just love listening to it.



For a more electronica sound try "Celtic Carol" by Lindsey Stirling. This kind of talent blows my mind.



The Nutcracker Suite as done by jazz legend Duke Ellington. This version of the holiday classic gives a smooth and sultry sound to mix things up for listening pleasure, without the indigestion that goes with mixing other things up. Like the endless array of holiday num nums.

So if you don't already have a play list for the holidays maybe its time to make one! If you already have your MP3 loaded, hopefully you can find some new treasures.

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the dance that is life!

Do you have a favorite Christmas song or album? Tips for organizing a great play list? Please share!




No comments:

Post a Comment