Friday, May 4, 2012

Walk, 2,3,4...

The time has come for...



I love this bit!  While it may be somewhat tongue in cheek there is some definite truth about how much fun a dance related exercise in a group can surround you in instant friends.

There is no question, or at least there should be very little doubt, that walking is one of the best exercises a human can do. It's low impact, gives a slow burn that is good for burning off fat and relaxing in many ways. I used to walk quite a bit, since I didn't start driving until I was 20. But fast forward a bunch of years and four kids later, I'm usually getting around in a big people mover known as a Suburban. I miss those days of letting my mind wander, breathing in fresh air (okay, not so much when I lived in L.A.), soaking up the sun and taking in the sights and sounds around me.

Mark's Daily Apple is a blog that I subscribe to and greatly enjoy. Recently he posted about the benefits of walking and asked the question why we don't walk anymore. Check it out here.

When I first read it, I was reminded that one of my Zumba enthusiasts wore her pedometer device a couple of times while taking my 45 minute Zumba class. Each time she clocked in at a little over 5,000 steps! In 45 minutes that's half of what is the 10,000 that's recommended. She claimed that she wasn't even doing as many of the steps that I did. I don't know though, I've seen her bust a move!


We know walking is good. Don't get me stated on the benefits of dance as part of one's exercise "diet". It's why I blog about it!

Cardio, endurance, flexibility, agility, a workout for the brain, self-esteem, the list could go on and on.

Finding a dance form or a dance fitness class that works for you is a great way to knock out some of those daily steps!

Here are some ideas;

Find a ballet class in your area that fits your level.
Even if a studio does a lot of performing they will usually have some class selections for recreational dancing. Look for a teen/adult class geared towards beginners. You will probably find some former dancers who want to take a more enjoyable pace than what they used to do.

Country Line Dancing
I've never done CLD, but it looks like a lot of fun! And very addicting!

Ballroom Dancing and Salsa Dancing
I want to try I am going to try partnered salsa dancing
 this summer! Honey, you have now been warned...

African Dance
Many communities offer African dance. Most teachers can modify for beginners. Often done with live drumming, this is an energetic, fun dance form with a festive communal feel.

Irish Step Dancing/Clogging
Again, many communities offer these or similar dance forms.

Dance Fitness
Zumba, U-Jam, Hip Hop Hustle
FUN, FUN,FUN! *No dance experience necessary!

Balletone
This program combines fitness, ballet, yoga and pilates to work the core, increase strength and balance and work that mid-level cardio. All levels welcome!

Look in your area and you will probably find a great many fun opportunities to explore dance.

Grab a friend or loved one if you need moral support. Get that booty, or derriere moving!

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the dance that is life!





No comments:

Post a Comment