Sunday, May 20, 2012

I Never Let...

Okay, this quote is less inspirational and perhaps more poignant.


I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
                                                                        Mark Twain.
This quote has come up many times in my household in the last month or so. Why? Our oldest daughter, Deirdre, is finishing up her first year of community college. A new semester will be starting in no time and class selection must be nailed down. I'd like to first state that I am a huge fan of community colleges and I think my daughter has made a great decision to start off her college education at one.

Let's face it though, whether one is at a private college, state  or community college, some of the class selections that fill degree requirements are...interesting?

Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame? Click here for more! Thankfully this is not one of the options at my daughter's college. At one of the colleges that her friend attends a course that he took a semester ago was titled New York Mambo.
 So why would a student even entertain (although some sound like nothing but entertainment) the thought of signing up and shelling out for these "educational" offerings? As many of you know, there are required courses of study to fulfill, and usually a timeline to fulfill them, unless one wants to make a career out of being a college student. You don't always get what you want when you want it. All that's available just might be The Sixties, Leisure and Life, or Effective Listening Through Multicultural Awareness (that last one seems like more a study of subjective vs. objective).

I understand the importance of producing well rounded individuals who will be making policy-related decisions, interpreting research results and influencing upcoming generations, but Sport For the Spectator? Really? Isn't that pretty much a spare time, not to mention fr$$ gig? As well as something that comes naturally.

I could go on and on. I think many of us could.

The bottom line, for me anyway, is this; For many career goals a college education is important, if not down right necessary. But don't let that get in the way of truly educating yourself. Case in point, most physicians don't get much in the way of nutrition education, but are rather just handed the standard mumbo jumbo decided by big government and big ag. I don't think its an outrageous claim to say that nutrition is one of the most important aspects of overall health. Here is just one example of this woman's struggle. Wouldn't take long to search for many more examples! It's up to doctors, on their own, after spending thousands on education, and amid an avalanche of paperwork (thanks insurance companies and trial lawyers!) to educated themselves. Not picking on doctors, just presenting one example that can impact everyday life.

I think I just went on and on...Hmmm, future post ideas a'brew'in...


Now for a laugh...


Thanks for reading :)

Enjoy the dance that is life!





No comments:

Post a Comment