Thursday, July 12, 2012

Power In Range Of Motion.

I have a personal philosophy of movement. Range of motion is its own form of strength.

So no matter what your sport or activity of choice is, being able to operate with as much range of motion that your body will allow (different for everyone) is, in my opinion and experience, of paramount importance. I'd never really thought about this in decades past (youth, ha!) until I started losing some range of motion in things I'd been doing for years. That coupled with trying some new movement vocabularies really got me to start thinking of the whole prehab/rehab-try to keep this ol' body movin for as long as possible-thing.

I can't remember how I first stumbled upon Kelly Starrett's MobilityWOD blog, but stumble I did. You can start from the top here.


It was a video that he did about proper shoulder form during a kettlebell Turkish getup that I feel in love with kettlebells. Matter of fact, adapting the kb getup to a bodyweight training/dancer oriented exercise was one of the driving ideas for even doing a dance/dance fitness related blog. Although my first Turkish getups resembled more of a drunken hobo, I've since polished my form. More on that in the future.

Back to Kelly Starrett's blog. I haven't check in with it for awhile. But I was inspired anew by a recent blog post from Mark's Daily Apple. Its a darn good list. And a great reminder to check back in with MobilityWOD.

Kelly covers a wide range of movements and techniques for a wide range of athletes. Oh, and here's the part that really tickles me; he's worked with dancers! Know wonder I got hooked. Plus, I think there has been mention of Chuck Norris-like jeans. What's not to love.

I'll be doing this in the near future!

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the dance that is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment